Monday, February 26, 2007

6 WKs w/o WIKI

I think I'm really struggling to understand some of what's going on in this class. I've finally wrapped my head around "how" to do a wiki. In as much as I know that say, houses can be made from wood. And that people live in houses because they need somewhere to sleep (among other things).

But, what I don't get is WHY I'd want to communicate with a wiki, when I have all kinds of other cool optionsl? Just like I don't really know which building materials would be the best for a house in every case. I mean--I'm pretty sure I don't want to live in a mud hut in Seattle. Okay, screw the annoying analogy!

What I'm trying to say is that I have no real understanding of the wiki as a genre. That's important in Language Arts. I can understand now why some students are completely puzzled by the thought of "how" to write a poem or short story. Having my students put together a wiki would be a great idea, but I just don't get it. Is it merely an extensive encyclopedia entry? Where do you place your commentary? Is it really appropriate? It seems more separate, sterile than some of the other things I would otherwise do.

So far, I've been focusing on the potential technological barriers I would have in mastering and then teaching my students about creating wikis, but now I see that will probably be the least of my issues. It's possible that I just haven't come in contact enough with other wikis to fully understand the genre. My experience is limited to Wikipedia and various wikis that contain information about subjects such as video game or website easter eggs, etc.

How would I use that in my classroom? Possibly each student would create a page about a different poet/author in a certain literary period? Ideas anyone?

No comments: